Spread holiday cheer! Ho, Ho Ho!
Advanced Physical Medicine & Therapy is sponsoring a Toys For Tots event in partnership with the US Marine Corps Reserve. In the spirit of the holidays, please donate a new unwrapped toy to fulfill the holiday dreams of needy children. Help give the message of hope to less fortunate children in the Mount Prospect area. Toy drop off November 8 to December 8. No stuffed animals please.
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2017/11/toys-for-tots-2/
Tips from APMT for a healthy holiday season!
Wishing You Healthy Holidays!
At Advanced Physical Medicine & Therapy in Mount Prospect, we want you to have a healthy and happy holiday season.
As exciting as the holidays are, added stress can really affect how your body functions. Whether you’ll be doing a lot of shopping, cooking, wrapping presents, or attending holiday parties, chances are you’ll be putting your body through a lot more than it’s normally accustomed to and all of this can trigger back and neck pain. Here are 11 tips to help you prepare for a happy and healthy holiday season.
- Dress appropriately before heading out for a day of shopping. Wear comfortable low-heeled shoes with arch supports and leave your heavy purse at home. Opt for a light backpack or a fanny pack to carry your personal belongings.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- A long day of shopping, i.e. walking, should be treated like an athletic event. Make sure you stretch before and after.
- Make extra trips to the car to drop off your goods so you don’t have to carry those heavy bags around all day.
- Take advantage of online shopping. Skip the long lines and crowded malls completely and shop from the comfort of your own home.
- Simplify your to-do list by picking up gift cards at the grocery store. You’ll get two errands done in one stop.
- Use a table or a counter to wrap gifts. The floor is a less than ideal spot to do your wrapping. Standing or sitting in a chair will promote better posture and help you avoid back and neck pain.
- Don’t wait until the last-minute to wrap all of your gifts. Wrapping a few at a time is best.
- Don’t neglect your fitness routine. Although you’ll be busier than normal, it’s important to keep those workouts on your daily to-do list. Even a quick 20-minute workout is better than skipping it all together and you’ll be helping to manage your stress.
- Get enough sleep. The holidays won’t be as enjoyable if you aren’t catching enough z’s. Make sure you’re getting the recommended 7-9 hours of sleep every night.
- Try to stay on track with your healthy eating. Gaining extra weight will only contribute to back pain and health problems. Before attending a party, make sure you eat something healthy and drink plenty of water to avoid overeating while you’re there. It’s ok to indulge a little with holiday treats, just be sure to be sensible about it.
With some simple preparation, you can manage holiday stressors and ward off debilitating back and neck pain. If you do experience pain this season, please give our office a call at (847)222-9060. We’re experts at finding the root cause of your pain and can help you get back to a better quality of life.
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2017/11/11-tips-healthy-holiday-season/
Always looking for new ways to be fit, APMT staff and teammates participated in the Ragnar Trail Relay in Wisconsin this September. Dr. Patel is looking forward to training for his second Ragnar in May 2018.
Joint Effort Team after the race!
Team Medals for the Ragnar Trail Relay, September, 2017.
Ragnar Trail Relay, Joint Effort, September 2017
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2017/09/ragnar-trail-relay/
Join Dr. Vijay Patel, Advanced Physical Medicine & Therapy and the Grandbrier of Prospect Heights for a lunch and learn on Tuesday, October 10th from 12-2 at Buca di Beppo in Wheeling. Learn how to stay safe and prevent falls before the snow and ice of winter comes. Registration is required, $10 with prepurchase or $15 at the door. RSVP by Friday, October 7, 847-818-1808 or email marketing@GrandbrierAssistedLiving.com.
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2017/09/importance-fall-prevention/
Join Advanced Physical Medicine and Therapy at Lattof YMCA’s Fitness and Program Fair. We will be providing gait scans. We are so happy to help those who are looking to have a healthy 2017!
Join us at Lattof YMCA!
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2017/01/apmt-latoff-ymca-fitness-program-fair/