The office will be closed on Thursday May 22. Dr. Patel and Dr. Kolbaba will be attending Power Play in Sports training provided by the Illinois Chiropractic Society. This seminar led by NFL team doctors will include training in the area of sports injury prevention, concussion recognition and prevention and sports nutrition. They are both looking forward to incorporating their new skills into their chiropractic practice at Advanced Physical Medicine & Therapy.
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2014/05/concussion-prevention-training/
“The best part of detox is feeling energized, strong and ready to take on the day.” – Svetlana, Chiropractic Assistant
The office staff have been in detox mode this spring. Families too. Nothing like a good liver detox to get the year going right say the healthy eating folks in the chiropractor’s office. We all felt great after our detox. As a staff we were really glad we undertook this program and would like it to be a regular event. For many of us, it is a regular event, we detox annually. Coming right off a detox, begs the question, are there any changes we would make after finishing the detox? After polling the staff, here is our list:
- A liver detox makes you feel more energized. We all noticed how our energy level increased. To quote Dr. Tim, “I love how much energy I have after a detox. I don’t have as much as Dr. Vijay, but it’s pretty close.” Completing a detox made us realize how choices we make everyday may not lead us to our best selves. What we snack on, too much coffee, sugar (fill in the blank).
- Eat more fruits and veggies. Completing the detox made several of us realize how many of our snack foods were processed or highly inflammatory foods such as wheat and dairy. It is easy to grab a handful of pretzels, cubes of cheese, yogurt. While some of these foods may be good for you, it made us realize how many times we passed the fruit bowl on the counter. One change many of us made is to increase fruits and veggies into our diet post detox. In the Patel house, a plate of raw veggies is regularly on the kitchen counter. It is refilled often and it is amazing how many children who are sworn junk food eaters can’t resist a raw carrot or sweet red peppers.
- Use more flavorings to jazz up your meals. Cooking with garlic, fresh herbs, lemon and lime adds so much flavor to food. Balsamic vinegar is a wonderful addition to both cooked and raw veggies and adds a lot of flavor.
- Avocados are a great go to food, high in healthy fats and vitamins, A,E,C, & K. Add them to salads, or as a fast food, cut them in half and add some salsa to the middle. It is a healthy and satisfying snack.
- Eat less processed food. For some in our office, avoiding processed foods is new. Those who have avoided processed foods most of the time notice a difference in taste. Motivated by a belief that the less we do to our food the better, I notice now how often highly processed foods just taste salty to me when they didn’t a year or two ago.
- It is important to read labels, it is surprising how many foods have hidden ingredients in them. Remember, if its an ingredient you wouldn’t find in your kitchen, it probably shouldn’t be in your food. Check for hidden sugars as well.
- Look for whole foods, grass-fed meats, dairy and eggs. Eat wisely. High quality, sustainably grown food is important for both our bodies and our planet.
- None of us liked the no coffee rule. Apparently, we have a group of caffeine addicts here in Mount Prospect! Although we have decided as a group, that Dr. V is better without coffee.
- Detox can be difficult over the weekends, when going out. Since we all chose shorter detoxes (the longest was 21 days) this wasn’t a huge issue. Several of us planned detoxes around weekends away, as it is difficult sometimes to be on a limited diet when traveling.
- Make sure you select a detox that fits with your lifestyle. This is really important to having a successful detox experience. For some of us that meant looking for a detox product that had no added sugars or sweeteners. For others, choice of a detox program was related to the length of the detox or the food choices allowed. For myself, it was important that the food choices be those that I could also feed to my family. I would never choose a detox that requires fasting now that I have kids in the house. I couldn’t make dinner for them and not eat myself.
We all were really happy that our detox programs focused on ways to eat healthier after the detox ended. For those of us who complete an annual detox, we like the opportunity to reset our eating. It reminds that when we eat well we feel better in our skin. It gives us time to focus and make healthier choices everyday.
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2014/05/lessons-learned-liver-detox/
APMT is proud to announce that we will offer massage by appointment on Tuesday 9-1, Friday 2-6 and Saturday 9 – 12. Aaron Witz is a Licensed Massage Therapist in the State of Illinois and is nationally certified. Aaron’s training includes Swedish, deep tissue, myofascial release, sports massage and trigger point therapy. Aaron will tailor each massage to a client’s need and condition.
Call our office today at 847-222-9060 to schedule your appointment!
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2014/03/massage-now-available-apmt/
Are you one of the millions of people suffering from chronic fatigue? Are you having problems with sleep? Are you suffering from depression? Have you put on a few pounds over the holiday season and are attempting to lose them? Or do you just not feel like yourself? Do you suffer from indigestion, poor concentration, constipation, headaches, bad breath, acne, or muscle pain? If you suffer from one or more of these symptoms you are an ideal candidate for detoxification. Many people make New Year’s resolutions to get healthy and either never get started or fall off the bandwagon. Many just “survive” and barely make it to the end of the day. Life is harder without energy.
What is Detox?
Detoxification is the body’s way of neutralizing or eliminating harmful substances from the body. The practice of detoxification to relieve the body of unhealthy toxins, chemicals and substances has been around for centuries. Many religions practice the use of detoxification or fasting as a method to clean and purify the mind, body and spirit.
What are Environmental Toxins?
During the course of the day your body is exposed to harmful substances: exhaust from cars; antibiotics and hormones in food; chemicals from food packaging, pesticides, and household cleaners; food additives; heavy metals; pollution; drugs, cigarette smoke and plastic contamination of food.
A toxin is any substance that can potentially do harm to your body. The liver, intestines, kidneys, lungs, skin, blood and lymphatic systems work together to detoxify harmful substances. Under normal circumstances, your body is able to rid itself of toxins. The sheer volume of toxins created by modern lifestyles overwhelms your organ systems. The problem becomes worse in people with an unhealthy diet. The cumulative toxic load leads to illness and has been linked to hormonal imbalances, impaired immune function, nutritional deficiency, and an inefficient metabolism. Your body, when burdened with toxins, will not perform optimally and result in reduced quality of life.
Healthy Detox Programs
It is important to look for detox programs that provide nutritional support for the liver and kidneys. In addition, quality detox programs often call for the elimination of foods that cause inflammation such as wheat, eggs and dairy and the addition of organic, high fiber food choices. These diets often emphasize vegetables and legumes and limit consumption of meats and starches. All detox programs should emphasize water consumption and moderate, regular exercise. In addition, detox programs should be completed under medical supervision. This article on healthy detoxification can help you select a high quality program.
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2014/03/detoxification-health/
Products We Love – Metagenics Clear Change Program
Advanced Physical Medicine & Therapy recommends the 10 day Clear Change Program for detoxification. This program utilizes Ultraclear Renew, a medical food that addresses all phases of detoxification providing adequate fuel for both cleansing and daily activities. This program also emphasizes foods that provide the vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants that the body needs for metabolic detoxification and heavy metal metabolism. Easy to follow and implement, Clear Change is a springboard toward a healthier lifestyle. This link will take you to more information regarding the importance of detoxification.
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2014/03/metagenics-clear-change-program/