Welcome to Dr. Timothy Kolbaba. Dr. Kolbaba, a former member of the U.S. Marine Corps, believes in the treatment of the body using chiropractic techniques and conservative methods to aid the body in healing itself. Please join us in welcoming Dr. Kolbaba to our office.
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2012/08/welcome-to-dr-timothy-kolbaba/
I recommend almost all my patients take Omega 3. They get a lot of press and most people have heard of them. I am not going to reinvent the wheel and tell you every benefit of Omega 3’s (there are a lot!). There is a lot of good information about Omega 3s on the web and elsewhere.
Inflammation & Omega-3
How to Reduce Omega-6 fatty acids
- Avoid fried foods- fried foods are a big offender, its like soaking your food in omega-6
- Avoid processed foods-most processed foods are made with inexpensive vegetable oils high in Omega-6 fatty acids (as these are the least expensive oils). Some suggest that by simply eliminating processed foods you can reduce yourOmega-6 intake by up to 1/3.
- Reduce amount of conventionally raised, grain fed beef
How to Increase Omega-3 fatty acids
- Eating fish just 2 times a week will increase your blood levels of omega-3.
- Increase amount of nuts – this is easy, nuts are great snacks; they are also wonderful additions to salads.
- Choose oils wisely, this link to the Eating Rules Cooking Oil Comparison Chart can help you with this.
- Choose grass fed meat and milk over grain fed for a better omega 3 to 6 profile.
- Take a daily Omega-3 supplement.
Maroon JC, Bost JW. (2006). Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) as an anti-inflammatory: an alternative to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for discogenic pain. Surg Neurol. 65(4):326-31.
Rangel-Huerta OD, Aguilera CM, Mesa MD, & Gil A. (2012). Omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids supplementation on inflammatory biomakers: a systematic review of randomised clinical trials. The British Journal of Nutrition. 107, S159-70.
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2012/08/mt-prospect-omega/
APMT is proud to support the Eagle Moms as they complete the Susan G. Komen 3-day walk this June. Thanks to all the men and women who walk to help end breast cancer.
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2012/06/proud-to-support-the-eagle-moms/
“Yeah, I need to exercise more.” These words don’t work. To change any behavior individuals with an explicitly stated goal are much more likely to achieve it.
Those who read my blog and know me, know I love to exercise. Like many, between work and time with my family, I am finding it increasingly difficult to work out.
This past week I made a goal of running 262.2 miles over the summer. That’s my goal. I am putting it out there to help keep me honest. What’s your goal? Post it here in the comments section, put it on Facebook, tape it to your bathroom mirror. Whatever, just make it public and go for it!
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2012/05/keep-it-honest/
Last week we talked about exercise…this weeks challenge is breakfast.
What to eat for breakfast.
Steel-cut oatmeal Recipe
Permanent link to this article: http://apmt.us/2012/05/the-weekly-challenge-breakfast/